Cultivating and customizing the backyard is an American love affair that will never waver with time. Even in 2012, according to a survey done by the American Society of Landscape Architects, there’s a high preference for transforming outdoor space for entertaining.
Despite the sluggish economy, residential design has remained stronger than other categories throughout the recession according to ASLA Executive Vice President and CEO Nancy Somerville, Hon. ASLA. It’s no surprise that hardscaping, waterscaping and softscaping is in high demand across the country.
Don’t believe us? We have statistics and facts that corroborate with these outdoor living trends.
Outdoor Living Trends 2012 ( As rated by Landscape Architects across the country)
Spaces: Gardens and landscape spaces had 94.9 percent rating and that could only mean it is somewhat or very popular. This category was followed closely by outdoor livings spaces which was rated 91.5 percent and is best defined as kitchen and entertainment spaces.
- Grills – 97.4%
- Fire pits/fireplace – 95.8%
- Seating/dining areas – 95.7%
- Lighting – 93.1%
- Installed seating (benches, seat walls, ledges, steps, boulders) – 86.9%
- Weatherized outdoor furniture – 81.2%
- Counter space – 76.0%
- Utility storage – 59.5%
- Stereo systems – 57.8%
Water Features: Pools tend to be well loved but at 79.2 percent, it pales in comparison to owning spas (80.4 percent) and other decorative water elements (89.9 percent).
- Decorative water elements such as ornamental pools, splash pools, waterfalls, grottos, water runnels or bubblers – 89.9%
- Spa features (hot tub, Jacuzzi, whirlpool, indoor/outdoor sauna) – 80.4%
- Swimming Pools – 79.2%
Softscape: When thinking of gardening, Americans tend toward the practical and sustainable with native plants (86.3 percent) and food/vegetable gardens (81.2 percent), with over half of them preferred to be organic (61.2 percent).
- Low maintenance landscapes – 96.6%
- Fountains/ornamental water features – 87.2%
- Native plants – 86.3%
- Food/Vegetable gardens (including orchards/vineyards etc.) – 81.2%
- Xeriscaping or dry gardens – 64.3%
- Organic gardens – 61.2%
- Rain gardens – 55.6%
- Ponds/streams – 52.2%
- Rooftop gardens – 38.3%
Hardscape: Across all categories, respondents rated low-maintenance landscapes with (96.6 percent) and Lighting features remain a popular choice from 2011 at 93.1 percent, as Americans plan to take more of their lives outside once the sun sets.
- Terraces/patios/decks – 95.7%
- Fencing (includes gates) – 90.6%
- Arbors – 88.7%
- Ornamental water features such as fountains or splash pools – 88.1%
- Pergolas – 85.2%
- Steps – 81.1%
- Decks – 74.5%
- Porches – 72.4%
- Kitchens/ovens – 70.3%
- Art (sculptures, murals etc.) – 60.2%
- Utility shed (tool shed, garden shed etc.) – 56.5%
- Play structures (tree house, swing set, etc.) – 54.7%
- Awnings, including retractable – 52.6%
- Pavilions – 52.3%
- Columns – 49.6%
Ask Rhine Landscaping about Outdoor Living Trends. We can provide you with ample information and assistance if you want to invest with any lawn maintenance or fixtures.
If you have any additional questions about Outdoor Living Trends or Landscape Design / Landscaping, contact Rhine Landscaping by calling 410-442-2445 or click here today!
Rhine Landscaping in Baltimore, Maryland can handle every aspect of your landscape, from hardscapes and patios / walkways, to retaining walls, water features such as fountains, fireplaces / firepits, swimming pools, landscape design, landscape installation, outdoor kitchens, decks, pavilions, basement waterproofing, drainage and more,
We can help you transform your landscape.